Sunday, July 29, 2007

Blueberry Applesauce Muffins

I wanted to try a new vegan muffin recipe today since I finally was able to dig up some old vegetarian cookbooks.
I had all the ingredients at the house to make Applesauce Muffins from "How it all Vegan!".
Instead of using raisins & cinnamon, I substituted with dried blueberries, ginger powder & a little freshly grated ginger. These muffins were disappointing! They turned out dense & lacked flavor. The recipe states that the batter makes 6 muffins & I got 9 large, rubbery and nasty tasting muffins. I think the recipe's lack of oil, sugar/sweetener & large amount of flour contributes to the taste & texture that I'm not very fond of. That or I somehow over mixed & totally pulverized this recipe, which is a highly likely possibility. :/ But if you're interested, give it a try...you may have better luck.
~*~
Applesauce Muffins

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon (I used ginger + small amount of cinnamon)

1/2 cup soy milk
1 tblspn apple cider vinegar
2 tblspn oil (coconut oil)
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 cup applesauce

3/4 cup raisins (dried blueberries)
  • Preheat oven to 375F.
  • Line 6-9 muffins tins.
  • Sift together flour, salt, soda & ginger + cinnamon.
  • Add milk, vinegar, oil, maple syrup, applesauce & dried fruit.
  • Mix together gently until "just mixed". Divide among lined tins.
  • Bake for 15-20 minutes. I think I had to bake mine for about 25 minutes. Test with a knife or toothpick.
Wanna try some spelt flour blueberry muffins?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your muffins look great! I'm trying to find healthy muffin recipes that my daughter will eat. Unfortunately, she does like blueberries so it's kind of a challenge. She's not really into cooked fruit either. Love your blog! Just found it.

Anonymous said...

thanks for this recipe! they turned out great.