Saturday, January 5, 2008

My Birthday Cake

The breakfast birthday cake I decided to make for myself was not extravagant by any means - no frosting, no white flour, no nuts...basically nothing special. Just a very simple, nutritious & dense Cranberry "Coffee Cake" - no nuts, or crumbly topping. I definitely didn't feel guilty eating this for my birthday - whole grains, not too sweet, slightly tart & sour, and refreshing from the hint of orange. I didn't have soy milk - which I'm assuming was used for some curdling, so I used what I had left of Silk Soy "Eggnog" + oat milk. Since I'm trying to avoid roasted nuts, I replaced the addition of walnuts with a combo of fresh cranberries, dried cranberries & for a little added sweetness, white chocolate chips. For the sweetener, I used a combo of barley malt syrup, maple syrup & also agave nectar. I was afraid the coffee cake would be too light so therefore added the white chocolate chips & agave, but I think the original use of maple & malt syrup should be enough sweetness. I didn't have time to make the icing or a frosting, so that part was omitted - the link above has the original recipe with icing & all from Eden Foods.
~*~
Cranberry "Coffee Cake"
1 cup soy/oat/rice milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup barley malt syrup
1/4 cup maple syrup (maple + agave)
2 tblspns coconut oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp of orange extract
1 tblspn grated orange zest

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup white chocolate chips
  • Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper, grease & set aside.
  • In a medium bowl, combine milk, vinegar, malt, maple, oil, extracts & zest. Whisk/stir to thoroughly combine. Let sit for a few minutes.
  • In a large bowl, lightly sift & combine flour, soda, powder & salt.
  • Pour the wet ingredients into the dry & mix to barely combine, do not overmix.
  • Quickly fold in cranberries & white chocolate, making sure not to overwork the batter.
  • Pour into prepared pan & give it a quick shake to even out the batter.
  • Bake for 40 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  • Allow to cool completely.
  • Loosen cake & revert pan to remove cake, decorate with icing if desired.
  • Store leftover cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator - this cake tastes great cold.

4 comments:

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I hope it was a great one!

Monika K said...

Happy Birthday! Your cake sounds nutritious AND delicious - the perfect combo. (-:

Debra said...

Thank you both for the birthday wishes!

Anonymous said...

I made this cake for my brother-in-law's second cousin's best friend because he bought the winning ticket in a raffle. He got a brand new pair of socks and a new pair of Nike Free basketball shoes.

Anyways, the cake was quite crumbly but also quite delicious. The complex flavors generated by the combination of sour apple cider vinegar, sweet and tart dried cranberries and orange zest, creamy and nuanced malt barley and vanilla extract, and the richness of coconut oil and white chocolate worked magic with my taste buds. I was able to put a large chunk of cake in my mouth, begin chewing it and mixing it with saliva, then close my eyes and experience the different flavors throughout my entire mouth and on all the different parts of my tongue. I could literally identify the different sensations on the front, back and sides of my tongue. Wow!

It was a delightful experience, and I was a little sad after I finished my slice. It's OK though, because I aborted my decision to give the rest of the cake away. My brother-in-law's second cousin's best friend got a nicely gift-wrapped box of Oreo's instead.
He was pissed off like Crazy!

But who cares? The cake was healthy; it was delicious; it made my mouth and tongue very very happy. Besides, Bruce already got some nice socks and some new shoes.