Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Pumpkin Pie

I'm a little disappointed with my pumpkin pie results, but I've learned or reconfirmed a few things:
  1. I don't like cardamon! It's just not my favorite spice, it's too overpowering. It took over the pumpkin pie! I tried to add a little more grounded cinnamon & ginger to cover it up, but may have over spiced the pie as a result. :(
  2. It may be better to use fresh roasted pumpkin or canned instead of steamed pumpkin - my pie was a little on the wet side. Or I just didn't do a good enough job "drying-out" my pumpkin puree.
  3. Maybe I need to give in & try a "tofu" pumpkin pie. I wanted to avoid tofu & used a recipe that used egg replacer & potato starch, but the whole pie just didn't quite congeal up enough for my taste.
  4. I reduced the brown sugar a little too much, although we like things not too sweet, a dessert should be a little sweeter.
  5. My parents felt guilty eating such a buttery crust, so another option using less fat would be ideal next time.
All & all, it wasn't a complete disaster & the pie was decent, just not that best egg-less pumpkin pie I've ever had - that's more of what I was going for! Well, that's normally what I'm ALWAYS going for, the best darn dessert I've ever had! It was definitely interesting making my first pie & pie crust from scratch. I still have a lot to learn, but that's what this experience is all about. Yay LIFE!
~*~
Pumpkin Pie

Crust:
1 1/4 AP flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar

1/2 cup (8 tblspns) butter, cubbed & frozen

2 - 4 tblspns very cold H2O

Filling:
  • For the crust:

No comments: