Thursday, November 15, 2007

Variations

Variations of a similar cookie recipe:
Original Cocoa Fudge Cookies
Cocoa Fudge w/ Cherries
Chewy Cocoa Fudge w/Chocolate Chips
Vegan Cocoa Fudge
My addition - Cocoa Fudge w/ Chocolate & Cappuccino Chips.
I have to admit, I didn't review the different variations before baking up these cookies, although I should have done the compare & contrast thing!
The name of the cookie included "chewy''! - can't go wrong there right? Unfortunately, I would not categorize mine as chewy. I would agree with Nicole that the cookies were "soft & rich"...I would agree with Molly that the cookies are "dark, and dense with chocolate flavor, but not too sweet". But that's baking, it could be any little minor factor or detail that would put my cookies more in the brownie, dense, cake-like cookie category. Don't get me wrong, these taste really good...just not what I expected. I was actually looking for an easy replacement for these Chewy Chocolate Espresso cookies. I had some extra yogurt & the recipe seemed simple & easy. The cookies did not spread really, but puffed up instead. The original recipe called for 5 tablespoons of butter instead of 4, so I may try that next time. Instead of scooping the flour, I will spoon & level, & I'll try to be more accurate when measuring the cocoa powder. I did reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup from 1 cup, but I doubt that made a big difference. I made sure not to overmix the batter, but it was thick & more like a brownie mixture. I wonder how these would hold up to whole wheat pastry? More puffier? No cappuccino chips? Espresso powder can provide the coffee kick.
~*~
Brownie-Like Cookies
1 cup AP flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt

4 tblspns butter (5 tblspns next time)
7 tblspns unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup cappuccino chips
  • Preheat oven 350F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup & level with a knife. Combine flour, soda, & salt; set aside.
  • Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat; stir in sifted cocoa powder & sugars (mixture will resemble coarse sand).
  • Add yogurt & vanilla, stirring to combine.
  • Add flour mixture, stirring until moist.
  • Fold in chips.
  • Drop by level tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheet - press down slightly to flatten - cookies barely spread. (Cookies may spread more with extra tablespoon of butter.)
  • Bake at 350° for ~8 - 10 minutes or until almost set.
  • Cool on pans 2 to 3 minutes or until firm. Transfer to cooling rack.
  • Makes ~20 cookies.

No comments: