Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Peanut Butter

These peanut butter bars are REALLY SIMPLE & delicious to whip up in a jiffy (I didn't even plan ahead & defrost my ingredients). Personally, I think they're better than peanut butter cookies. The texture is chewy, thick, rich & the peanut butter flavor is prominent - although not much is used...this is a great way to use up that small amount of peanut butter leftover. Although I reduced the amount of sugar, it was still a little on the sweet side for my taste since raisins are pretty sweet all on their own. I'm normally not a big fan of raisins, but I find them quite enjoyable when they're cut into smaller pieces, personal preference I guess. Plus I can't tell they're raisins! :)
~*~
Peanut Butter Raisin Bars
1/4 cup creamy unsweetened peanut butter (2 ounces)
1/4 cup salted butter (4 tblspns)

1/2 cup sugar (little less next time)
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 cup AP flour
3/4 tsp baking powder

3/4 cup raisins, chopped
dark chocolate chips, for sprinkling
  • Preheat oven 350F. Butter & flour 6X9 glass pan, set aside. **It may be wise to line the bottom of the pan with some parchment paper.
  • Combine peanut butter & butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat until melted. Allow to cool.
  • Add sugar, egg & vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
  • Add flour & baking powder.
  • Fold in chopped raisins.
  • Spread batter into prepared pan & sprinkle the top with some chocolate chips (optional) - press them into the batter slightly.
  • Bake for ~25 - 30 minutes, till the top is lightly golden brown & a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  • Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.
  • Makes 8 small bars or 6 large ones.

No comments: