Saturday, March 22, 2008

Chocolate Cake


Chocolate cake from Great Desserts Naturally by Fran Costigan. My sister got me this book for my birthday this past January. How fitting that I found a new chocolate cake recipe that I wanted to try. The cake was moist, dense, not too sweet with a tender crumb & the chocolate was definitely the star. I halved the recipe & I added 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips, 1/4 tsp of instant espresso powder & reduced the amount of dry sugar by 2 tablespoons. The cake wasn't quite sweet enough, so maybe the original 4 tablespoons is best. Next time, I think I will try the addition of orange zest or extract. I didn't have time, but a nice thick ganache or frosting between layers would have been a welcomed addition for a more decadent dessert/snack. Definitely hit the spot for the craving of a traditional vegan chocolate cake.

No comments: