Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Easy...No Bake! :)

Nostalgic of childhood snacks...these are chewy, simple & addicting! I got the recipe from Simple Treats. Instead of 6 cups of brown rice crispy, I used 5 & substituted the 6th cup with a mix of coconut flakes, sunflower seeds & dried cranberries. The result was a little too sweet for my taste, so an additional 1 to 1/2 cup of brown rice may have been ok. Plus I used about 3 tablespoons of oil, since that was easier. I don't think I cooked my syrup enough since it didn't end up very thick. As a result, it took a little longer for my treats to harden up, but that was easily remedied by placing them in the fridge. The combo of coco oil & brown rice syrup hardened up quickly. Although I didn't really eat rice crispy treats a lot when I was younger, I still enjoyed this simple no bake snack. I can imagine many variations with additional dried fruits, nuts & chocolate, etc.
~*~
Brown Rice Crispy Treats
2 1/2 tblspns oil (coconut oil)
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
2 tblspns maple syrup
2 tblspns malt barley syrup
1/4 tsp salt

6 cups brown rice crispy cereal ( 5 cups brown rice + 1/3 cup flaked coconuts
1/3 cup sunflower seeds (pumpkin seeds)
1/3 cup dried cranberries)
  • Oil/butter an 8X8 pan and put aside.
  • In a medium saucepan, heat up the coconut/vegetable oil.
  • Turn the heat to low & add the syrups & salt. Allow syrup to thicken and darken in color. Be careful as this may burn easily & is very hot.
  • Pour the syrup into a large oiled bowl.
  • Mix & combine the cereal + filling till thoroughly incorporated.
  • Pour into prepared oiled pan. Press down to compress cereal.
  • Allow to cool until hardened, 15 minutes - 1 hour. Refrigerate if necessary.
  • Make 9 large squares.

No comments: