Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Does Texture Really Matter?

I'm always in search of a really chewy cookie recipe. But my question is...does it even freakin' matter? Most likely not, because I'm not the one eating all these cookies & everyone I talk to seems to have a different opinion or variation of their favorite cookie. So in my case, I'm just gonna assume everyone likes chewy cookies & work from there. Unfortunately this mindset does have its limitations...what about shortbread, sandies & crispy cookies? Well, who wants to be so narrow-minded? Not me, so I'm gonna try those too, but I ain't gonna like it! I baked up these really chewy cookies last night & presented them as a gift to my manager. After all, today is National Boss Day. I have no idea if they're still chewy today, but I'm trusting Nicole on this one. She seems to be a big fan of chewy cookies herself. This is my take on her chewy cookies.
~*~
Really Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
1 1/4 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt (plus some)

1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
1/2 cup light brown sugar (all dark brown sugar)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

1/4 roasted peanuts (plus some)
1/4 cup chocolate chips (plus some)

  • Preheat oven to 325F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • Whisk together flour, baking soda & salt in a medium bowl.
  • In a large bowl/electric mixer, cream together butter & sugar.
  • Beat in egg, followed by the peanut butter until thoroughly combined.
  • Add in dry ingredients with the mixer on low speed, mixing until just combined. Fold in nuts & chips.
  • Shape into balls (40 grams each) & flatten slightly onto cookie sheet, leaving some room for them to spread.
  • Bake for 15-17 minutes, until just turning brown around the edges.
  • Remove from oven, let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
  • Makes about 20 medium sized cookies.

No comments: