Monday, December 17, 2007

Chocolate Cookies


I attempted these double chocolate cookies as part of my X-mas baking for co-workers - they love chocolate. My cookies didn't turn quite as chocolaty & flavorful as preferred, but I didn't have dutch-process cocoa, plus I used white chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate. I wanted a black & white cookie. For the melted 4 ounces of chocolate, I used a mix of semi-sweet & cappuccino chips, I also added about 1/2 tsp of instant espresso powder. The cookies were a bit fragile, but overbaking would have dried them out, so remember to take them out if they took like they're getting too dry. Crispy-chewy edges with a chewy center. I normally LOVE chewy cookies, but just not a big fan of chocolate...I think I'm allergic, otherwise I would eat it everyday if I could!

~*~
Chocolate w/ White Chocolate & Pecan Cookies
1 cup AP flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

4 ounces white chocolate chips
1/3 pecans, toasted & chopped
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, & salt; set aside.
  • Melt 4 ounces chocolate chips with the butter in a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; let cool slightly.
  • Put chocolate mixture, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until combined.
  • Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture.
  • Fold in white chocolate chips & pecans.
  • Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.
  • Bake until cookies are flat and surfaces crack, about 15 minutes (cookies should be soft).
  • Let cool on parchment on wire racks. Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.
  • Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

No comments: