Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Basic Brown Rice Cookies

No way was I gonna let the brown take me down. I had to try another brown rice based recipe because my mom taught me to never give up! Gotta bring the self-confidence & self-esteem back up after yesterday night's big flop.
Brown rice flour, although nutritious, has a very interesting & novel texture compared to your normal baked goodies. It's grainy & like my boyfriend said, "tastes like I'm eating large granules of sugar". The cookies were yummy in their own unique way. Definitely not your super chewy "bakery" style cookies, but still very special indeed. I don't have a lot to compare it to, but can say that I plan on trying these again & did end up eating about 6 cookies in one sitting...pretty addicting.
Next time I want to try using psyllium husk as my egg substitute (1 tblspn to 2 tblspn H2O). Hopefully this will act as a better binding mechanism. I was stingy with the filling choices due to yesterday's experience, but can envision many different filling combos. The cookie was a little too sweet for me even though I used less than 1 cup of sugar, I think I will reduce this even more next time.
~*~
Brown Rice Cookies
1/3 cup butter, melted & cooled (5 tblspn + 1/3 of 1 tblspn)
1 cup brown sugar (1/2 - 3/4 cup)
1 egg substitute (ener-g egg replacer 1 1/2 tsp + 2 tblspn warm H2O) (pysllium husk)
1 tblspn hot water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract (1/4 tsp)

1 1/3 cup brown rice flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt

3/4 cup cranberries + pecans + white chocolate chips

  • Preheat oven to 375F & line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  • In a medium sized bowl, mix together the melted butter, brown sugar & hot water.
  • Add the "egg" & extracts.
  • In a small bowl, whisk together brown rice, powder, soda & salt. Slowly incorporate this mixture into the wet ingredients. Add your dried fruits & nuts.
  • The batter is a bit dry & may easily fall apart. Push the dough together to form balls & place onto your lined baking sheet. The cookies will spread by themselves & do not need to be flattened.
  • Bake for about 10 minutes. Allow to cool & harden before transferring to cookie rack, it's a good idea to use a spatula.
  • Makes about 18 cookies.

No comments: