Sunday, August 5, 2007

Green Tea Rush

Continuing my Sunday baking ritual, I decided to make some green tea cupcakes from VCTOTW. As you can tell, I have a tendency to half recipes & that's because I always use the highest & best quality ingredients that I can find...I hate being wasteful when they don't turn out, which has happened more times than I can count. That, plus I tend to overeat if I have a lot around...so a smaller batch also prevents overindulgence. Next time I may try using only 1/2 tsp baking powder to see if I get the same texture & same amount of rise. Once I buy some brown rice flour, I also want to give that a try. The almond flavor was strong, which I liked, but should be a little more subtle in order for the green tea to shine. Although these are plain jane simple, lack complexity & multiple ingredients, I still enjoyed them quite a bit. They're light & fluffy & remind me of a milky green tea frappucino from Starbucks. In addition to the matcha green tea, I also steeped the rice milk with some green tea leaves.
~*~
Green Tea Cupcakes
1/4 cup vanilla soy yogurt (Stonyfield Farm O'Soy - I always use vanilla)
1/3 rice milk (steeped in 1/2 tsp green tea)
3 tblspn oil (refined coconut oil)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract (a little less)

5/8 cup flour (3/8 AP flour, 2/8 Quinoa flour)
1 tsp baking powder (1/2 - 3/4 tsp)
1/8 tsp baking soda
3 tsp matcha green tea powder
1/8 tsp salt
2/8 cup sugar (3/8 cup if you want it sweeter)
  • Preheat over to 350F & line for 6 cupcakes.
  • Steep 1/2 tsp green tea leaves with 1/3 cup rice milk. Bring to low boil and leave on medium to medium-low heat for about 10 minutes. Strain liquid from leaves & measure to confirm there is still 1/3 cup liquid, if not add some rice milk to make up the difference. Allow to cool.
  • In a large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients - yogurt, rice milk, oil & extracts.
  • In a small bowl, whisk together flour, powder, soda, matcha, salt & sugar. Sift into wet ingredients. Stir together until incorporated. (Loose batter.)
  • Divide among 6 lined tins. Bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
  • Cool completely on a cooling rack & frost.
~*~
Green Tea Glaze
1 tblspn butter, room temperature
1/8 cup or less powdered sugar (personal sweetness preference)
1/8 to 1/4 tsp matcha green tea powder
1/8 tsp almond extract
Few drops vanilla extract
Rice milk (optional)
  • Mix softened butter & sugar together with a fork.
  • Add green tea powder & combine into mixture.
  • Add extracts & stir to combine. If too dry, add some rice milk, when more liquidy, glaze can be poured onto cupcakes...If too wet, add some powdered sugar.
  • Divide evenly among 6 cupcakes...frost & decorate according to personal preference.

No comments: