Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Going Coconuts

I am an avid admirer of Baking Bites. Her stuff always looks so good & she has so much variety on her blog. This morning I saw an entry for coconut macaroons & really wanted to give it a try since I really like coconuts. I used unsweetened coconut flakes and reduced the amount of sugar...next time I think I will add a little more sweetness. My macaroons ended up being a little on the dry side probably because I used unsweetened flaked coconuts, since that's what I had. Some fat or oil such as, coconut oil, coconut milk, condense milk or organic corn syrup, would be a wise addition. These are pretty simple when craving an easy-chewy-densely packed coconut snack.
~*~
Coconut Macaroons

2 cups flaked coconut
1/3 cup sugar (increase a tad)
1 large egg white
1/8 tsp salt
1 + 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 small lime, zest (optional)
melted chocolate, drizzling (optional)
  • Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • Pulse coconut in food processor & pulse till finely chopped (not into coconut flour, but small rice-sized bits).
  • In a large bowl, whisk together egg white, sugar & salt until smooth. Whisk in cornstarch, extract & zest.
  • Stir in coconut & make sure to combine evenly.
  • Drop by rounded tablespoon using a cookie dough scooper.
  • Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes until golden brown on top & bottom.
  • Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes & transfer to cooling rack.
  • Makes about 15.
  • Melt chocolate & drizzle to decorate. Refrigerate & allow chocolate to set. (These taste yummy straight from the fridge.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear D,

You've produced an amazing variety of baking delights!!

From the ingredients you use, I can tell your culinary creations are quite health oriented. Are they as delicious as they are healthy?

Keep up the great work! I'll be checking back from time to time for more healthy entrees and desserts.

Sincerely,
Archibald Leach