Thursday, October 25, 2007

Childhood Memories

Growing up, we didn't do a lot of baking...but I do have memories of me & my sister making peanut butter cookies (Thanks Celine). We used to use a fork to make those criss-cross patterns. Nostalgia...childhood innocence...

These were for my cousin, unfortunately I promised her chewy Mrs. Field-type cookies. I'll have to deliver next time.

Generally speaking, I think there are about 4 main cookie
categories:
  1. Cake-like/Puffy cookies (Pumpkin Cookies)
  2. Chewy cookies - crispy edges & soft chewy centers (Chocolate Chip)
  3. Sandies/Shortbread-like dense cookies (Cranberry-Pecan Cookies)
  4. Crispy cookies - thin or thick (Biscotti)
I would consider these belonging to category 3. I may add a little more liquid next time to allow more spread & cohesion...my dough was a little crumbly (possibly due to increased whole wheat pastry). Overall, these definitely remind me of the classic dense peanut butter cookie, except with peanuts + chocolate chips.
~*~
Chunky Peanut Butter Cookies w/ Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup + 2 tblspn peanut butter, unsweetened
3 tblspn coconut oil
3 tblspn rice/oat milk (more if necessary to bind)
3 tblspn whiskey
2 tblspn maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 cup AP flour
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry
1/4 cup sugar, scant
1/4 cup brown sugar, scant
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ener-g egg replacer (powder only, no H2O)

1/4 cup roasted peanuts
1/4 cup chocolate chips

  • Preheat oven 325F. Prepare cookie sheet by lining with parchment paper.
  • In a large bowl, combine & mix wet ingredients (this may be easiest using a stand-mixer).
  • In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients & thoroughly mix together.
  • Slowly pour dry ingredients into wet & stir to combine. If dough is crumbly, add more "milk".
  • Add & stir in peanuts & chips.
  • Divide into 12 balls (44.5 grams) & evenly space on lined cookie sheet. Flatten cookies.
  • Bake for 15-17 minutes, till edges are light golden brown.
  • Remove & allow to cool a few minutes on cookie sheet. Move to cooling rack.
  • Makes 12 medium cookies.**"Peanut is actually a bean/legume vine plant...it is related to other beans, such as peas, beans & lentils..."

1 comment:

bazu said...

I like your cookie categories. Every once in a while, I strike cookie gold, but I'm still learning what contributes to the perfect color, texture, taste, everything!