Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Pumpkin...to Celebrate Fall.

My friend & her sister threw a wine tasting party this past weekend & as a token of appreciation for their hospitality, I baked up some pumpkin muffins. I've been wanting to try a pumpkin recipe all year long & now it's finally Fall! Nicole loves chocolate, especially dark chocolate. I originally wanted to make some cookies using pumpkin, but couldn't find anything completely agreeable. Bread, cake, cupcakes or muffins seem to be the next logical choice. Between cupcakes & muffins, I think muffins will hold up better to the massive amount of bittersweet chocolate chips & dark-chocolate covered raisins I want to use. The original recipe is from Vegan with a Vengeance - the Best Pumpkin muffins.
**After trying the original version, with great success & many compliments, I tried the healthier version, subbing 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour & reducing the sugar to 3/4 cup. Instead of eliminating most of the oil, I used 1/4 cup coconut oil + 2 tablespoons & added 2 tablespoons of applesauce. The variation resulted in a noticeable difference in the muffin texture, but I believe the strong spices & pumpkin make the muffin.
~*~
Dark Chocolate-Raisin Pumpkin Muffins
  • Fold in 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips + 1/2 cup dark-chocolate covered raisins

No comments: