Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Rugelach

My boyfriend & I love to scour the Whole Food's bakery section to gawk over their fresh baked goodies. They normally have muffins, bagels, cakes & cookies, nothing too spectacular & special there. But today we spotted a whole display of Baklava & Rugelach (they must be prepping us for the holidays). Ok, I have to admit that we've had them before, but that was in my pre-baking days! We went ahead & got a batch & quickly indulged when we got home. :) We read the ingredients & were both a little disappointed to see egg & non-organic ingredients listed, but enjoyed the dessert nonetheless since this was our "Sunday Celebration".
After eating a few more bites, my boyfriend had a revelation..."You know, YOU can make these." What a great idea, he knows I like to try new stuff, so no way would I turn down the opportunity.
So thus begins the online search to learn more about Rugulach/Rugalach/Rogelach/Rugalah/Rugala. After reading a few recipes, I gathered up my ingredients to whip up a half batch of these yummy goodies. They're cooling right now as we speak, I'll be enjoying my homemade Rugelachs in a few short minutes! Rugelach is so versatile - you can add any chocolate, dried fruit, nut or preserve combination that you like! So much flexibility, I like that! You can even use Nutella, which I've yet to try in any of my baking.
Since I did not add extra sugar, these were not very sweet, but rolled in light brown sugar + cinnamon made them perfect for me! Not too sweet, not too heavy. But if I want a richer cookie next time, I will try a recipe that includes sour cream.
**After taste test: For some odd reason my Rugelach's came out slightly soggy in the center, it may be because my preserves used apple juice as a natural sweetener, adding extra moisture to my dough. I think next time I may just use blended dried nuts & fruits & skip the preserves. Also, this time I used whole wheat pastry, next time I will use whole wheat flour since it's more substantial.
~*~
Rugelach
1 cup AP flour (1/2 AP , 1/2 whole wheat)
1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 cup sugar

3/4 cup walnuts/pecans, grounded
2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 cup sugar

6 tblspns preserves, raspberry/mixed berries

1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup light brown sugar/coarse sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together flour & salt, set aside.
  • In an electric mixer, blend together butter & cream cheese, add vanilla extract & some sugar for sweeter dough.
  • Slowly add the flour mixture into the butter/cheese mixture. The batter will be crumbly. With a wooden spoon/spatula, incorporate the flour to form a dough.
  • Divide the dough into two balls or two squares, wrap in parchment or saran wrap & refrigerate dough overnight.
  • Defrost one dough for about 15 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, place the walnuts, cinnamon & additional sugar into the food processor. Blend to create coarse mixture.
  • Roll dough to create 10 inch circle or 11X7 rectangle, size does not matter, but consider dough thickness.
  • Spread 3 tablespoons of preserves all over dough. Spread half the nut mixture all over dough & then press it down. Add any additional coarsely chopped nuts/fruits if desired.
  • (Circle) If creating crescents, divide dough like cutting pizza into 12 "slices", roll from long side into center. Place tail side down on lined pan. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
  • (Rectangle) If creating rolls, spread on preserves & nut mixture. Roll from the long side like creating jelly roll. Refrigerate for 30 minutes & slice crosswise about 1 inch thick before baking.
  • Repeat for remaining dough.
  • Preheat oven 350F.
  • Line pan with parchment paper.
  • In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup brown sugar + 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
  • Brush your dough with milk & sprinkle or dip in cinnamon & sugar mixture.
  • Bake for 20 minutes.
  • Cool cookies on cooling rack.
  • Store in airtight container or freeze for up to 3 months.
Gluten-Free Rugelach
Whole Wheat Rugelach
Regular Rugelach
Baking Bites' Rugelach

No comments: